Our Area Labor Federation is a coalition of unions. It is the official organization of the National AFL-CIO in South Central Iowa. South Central Iowa Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO represents 23 counties in South Central Iowa.
The goals of South Central Iowa Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO are social and economic justice. Achievement of these goals is made possible through the collective strength of our affiliates. By combining the talent, energy, activism and sense of justice of all of our affiliates, the Central Labor Council seeks to promote legislation that will enable the government to be responsive to the needs of working people and their families.
The Area Labor Federation seeks to:
· secure legislation which will protect and promote collective bargaining, the rights of workers, farmers and consumers and the security and welfare of all the people;
· help workers and local unions to secure improved wages, hours and working conditions;
· promote and encourage all unorganized workers to join unions;
· promote the sale and use of union-made goods and union services through the use of the Union Label;
· promote and carry on a sound and responsible public relations program;
· encourage workers to register and vote, to exercise their full rights and responsibilities of citizenship and to perform their rightful role in the political life of their local, state and national communities.
· unify and coordinate the efforts of AFL-CIO unions and serve as a representative on issues that affect our members as workers and as citizens.
Unions are about the collective being stronger than the individual – that together we can achieve what we cannot on our own. What's true for construction workers and nurses, for janitors and teachers, is also true for the workers' rights movement
We are one of nearly 500 state and local labor councils of the AFL-CIO and are the heart of the labor movement. We are democratically elected bodies dedicated to represent the interests of working people at the state and local level. We mobilize our members and community partners to advocate for social and economic justice and we strive daily to vanquish oppression and make our communities better for all people—regardless of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, or ethnic or national origin.